Over/Under Betting Guide
Over/under betting is also known as totals betting which are easy to understand. With its simplicity and versatility, no wonder this betting option becomes one of the most favorite to bet on. In this guide, we will discuss further about how this market works, what makes it unique compared to other sports betting options such as moneyline, handicap, 1×2 betting, and more. Stay in the loop and learn from our over/under betting guide for a better betting experience.
What Does Over/Under Betting Mean?
Over/Under betting is a popular form of wagering in the world of sports betting. It is a type of bet that allows bettors to predict whether the total combined score of a game will be over or under a specific number set by the bookmaker. Over/Under betting is also referred to as totals betting or O/U betting.
For example, let’s say there is an upcoming basketball game between Team A and Team B. The bookmaker sets the total line at 100.5 points. Bettors can then wager on whether the total combined score of both teams will be over 100.5 points or under 100.5 points. If the final score is 110-100, the total combined score is 210, which means bettors who bet on “over” will win.
How Does Over/Under Betting Work?
This type of betting option is popular as it allows you to focus on the overall outcome of the game or sports event. To help you understand how does over/under betting works, consider the key points below:
Selection: You start by selecting a sporting event you want to bet on. This could be a football game, basketball match, or any other sport where over/under betting is available.
Total Line: The sportsbook sets a “total line” or “over/under line” for the event. This line represents the predicted total combined score or statistic for the game.
Consider over/under betting odds from OKBet Malaysia U23 vs. Bangladesh U23
For Malaysia U23 vs. Bangladesh U23, the total line for over is 1.69 while under is 2.14( over/under line might change depending the sportsbook)
Betting Options: You have two betting options:
- Over: If you believe the total combined score or statistic will be higher than the set line, you bet on the “over.” In the example above, if you bet the “over” on 215.5 points, the combined score of both teams needs to be 216 points or more for your bet to win.
- Under: If you think the total will be lower than the set line, you bet on the “under.” In our example, if you bet the “under,” the combined score must be 215 points or less for your bet to win.
Betting Amount: You decide how much money you want to wager on your chosen option, either the “over” or the “under.”
Placing the Bet: You place your bet with the sportsbook. Once the game or event concludes, the sportsbook determines the total score or statistic, and they compare it to the set line.
Outcome = Depending on the actual outcome of the game, one of the following happens:
- If the total score or statistic is higher than the set line and you bet the “over,” your bet is a winner.
- If the total score or statistic is lower than the set line and you bet the “under,” your bet is a winner.
- If the total score or statistic matches the set line exactly, it’s called a “push,” and you receive your original wager back.
Payout: If your bet is a winner, the sportsbook will pay you out based on the odds associated with your bet. Over/under bets typically have close to even odds (e.g., -110), meaning you win close to the amount you wagered if your bet is successful.
How to Bet the Over/Under
Betting the over/under requires careful analysis and consideration of various factors. Here are some steps to help you make an informed over/under bet:
- Research the teams: Look at the offensive and defensive capabilities of the teams involved. Analyze their recent performance, key player injuries, and the style of play they adopt.
- Evaluate the total line: Consider the total line set by the bookmaker. Take into account factors such as the average scoring rate of the teams, the playing conditions, and any recent changes in team dynamics.
- Consider external factors: Take into account any external factors that may affect the total score, such as weather conditions, home-field advantage, or referee tendencies.
- Make your prediction: Based on your analysis, make an informed decision on whether you believe the total combined score will be over or under the set total line.
- Find a trusted sportsbook: it’s always easy to find a trusted sportsbook in the Philippines. Consider a sportsbook that is licensed and regulated under the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation PAGCOR.
- Place your bet: Once you have made your prediction, place your bet with a reputable sportsbook or online betting platform like OKBet.
Sports You Can Bet on using Over/Under Betting
You can use over/under betting in a wide variety of sports and events. Here’s a list of some of the most common sports where you can place a bet using over/under betting option:
- Football: Over/under bets are commonly placed on the total number of goals scored in a match.
- Basketball: Over/under bets focus on the total combined points scored by both teams in a game.
- Baseball: Over/under bets can be placed on the total runs scored in a game, or on the number of hits, strikeouts, or other statistics.
- Ice Hockey: Betting on the total number of goals scored in a hockey game is a popular over/under option.
- Tennis: Over/under bets can be placed on the total number of games or sets in a tennis match.
- Golf: Some sportsbooks offer over/under betting on the total score of a golfer in a tournament.
- Boxing: Over/under bets may be available on the number of rounds a fight will last.
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA): Over/under bets can focus on the total rounds or time a fight will last.
- Auto Racing: In motorsports like Formula 1 or NASCAR, over/under bets can be placed on the number of laps completed or other race-related statistics.
- Cricket: Over/under bets are often available for the total number of runs scored in a cricket match.
- Rugby: Over/under bets can be placed on the total points scored in a rugby game.
- E-sports: Some e-sports events offer over/under betting options for various in-game statistics, such as kills, rounds won, or total points.
- Special Events: Over/under betting can be applied to a wide range of special events, such as the total number of touchdowns in the Super Bowl, or the number of corners in a soccer match.
Keep in mind that the specific over/under options available may vary depending on the sportsbook and the event, but these are some of the sports where over/under betting is commonly offered.
How Does Over/Under Betting Payout Calculated at OKBet?
The payout in over/under betting is calculated based on the odds associated with your bet and the amount you wagered. Over/under bets typically have odds expressed as a moneyline, often around -110. Here’s how the payout is calculated:
Odds: The sportsbook will display the betting odds for the “over” and “under” options. These odds indicate how much you can potentially win for a given wager.
Let’s use OKBet odds: USA League One to calculate your winnings with over/under betting
The Odds for both teams (Northern Colorado vs. Lexington ) are 1.96 for Over and 1.86 for Under both have 4.5 paylines. Let’s say you decide to wager on over with ₱100 or bet on the under with ₱200
How to calculate the winnings:
To calculate your potential winnings, you can use the following formula
Potential winnings = (wager amount x Odds)
If you bet ₱100 on Over with 1.96 odds you will win ₱196 (bet x odds) if the result is over the paylines which is 4.5.
If you bet ₱200 on Under with 1.86 odds you will win ₱372 (bet x odds) if the result is under the paylines which is 4.5.
Remember that in the case of a winning bet, you receive your original wager amount back in addition to your potential winnings. If your bet is a losing one, you simply lose the amount you wagered.
Keep in mind that odds can vary between sportsbooks, and some sportsbooks may offer different odds for over/under bets. However, the calculation method remains the same, and it’s important to understand the odds and potential payouts before placing your bet.
How Are Totals Made?
The totals in over/under betting are made by the bookmaker based on various factors such as team performance, playing conditions, and historical data. Bookmakers aim to set a total line that will attract equal action on both the over and the under, ensuring a balanced book.
When it comes to over/under betting, there are several strategies that bettors can employ:
- Analyze team statistics: Look at the average scoring rates of the teams involved, their defensive capabilities, and their recent performance to identify trends and patterns.
- Consider playing conditions: Take into account factors such as weather conditions, playing surface, and stadium atmosphere, as they can impact the total score of a game.
- Follow line movement: Track the movement of the over/under line to identify any significant shifts. This can provide insights into where the sharp bettors are placing their money.
- Bet wisely: Focus on games where you have a strong opinion or where the total line appears to be mispriced. Avoid chasing losses or placing bets for the sake of action.
How to Bet Over/Under Betting with OKBet?
Now that you know the basics of over/under betting, it’s time for you to find a reliable sports betting site in the Philippines. Look no further! OKBet sports betting got you covered. OKBet is licensed and regulated under the PAGCOR. The Platform offers different types of betting, from online casino, sports betting, to esports betting. OKBet aims to give the best online betting experience including safety and security. You can also take advantage of OKBet’s bonuses and promotions to give you extra credit when betting.
Advice to Bettors
If you have a successful online esports and sports betting, follow and learn from our guide. We aim to give our readers the best guide to help you understand better about the world of online gambling.
How do you like your guide? Let us know your thoughts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Over/under betting is a type of sports wagering where you predict whether the total combined score or statistic in a sporting event will be over or under a specific number set by the sportsbook.
No, over/under bets cannot end in a tie. If the total combined score matches the set total line, it is considered a push, and all bets are refunded.
Yes, the over/under line can change based on factors such as team news, injuries, or betting market activity. It's important to keep an eye on line movement and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Over/Under can be used also on esports such as King of Glory, Dota 2, Valorant, CS:GO and more.
Over/under betting is available in various sports, including football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, tennis, and more.
The total line represents the predicted total combined score or statistic for the game, such as the total points scored in a basketball game.
Sportsbooks set the odds based on their assessment of the game's likelihood to go over or under the total line.
Yes, you can bet on both sides, but it won't guarantee a profit since you'd lose one of the bets if the outcome is not a "push."
Yes, strategies involve analyzing team performance, statistics, and game conditions to make informed bets. Some bettors also look for value in lines.
Rules can vary, so it's essential to understand the specific rules and variations for over/under betting in each sport or league.
Yes, many sportsbooks offer live in-play over/under betting options as the game progresses.
Betting limits can vary by sportsbook, so check with the bookmaker for their specific minimum and maximum bet amounts.
Yes, over/under betting is relatively simple and can be a good starting point for beginners in sports betting.